Philippines Plans to Withdraw From International Criminal Court

Denouncing what he called efforts to paint him as a "heartless violator of human rights," President Rodrigo Duterte said on Wednesday that the Philippines was withdrawing from the treaty that established the International Criminal Court.

The Hague-based court said last month that it was opening a preliminary inquiry into allegations that Mr. Duterte and other Philippine officials committed mass murder and crimes against humanity in the course of the crackdown on narcotics.

Thousands of people have died at the hands of police officers or unknown gunmen since Mr. Duterte took office in 2016 promising to kill drug dealers and addicts.

Continue reading: NY Times